Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Endorses Gun Violence Survivors, Speaker Pelosi, Congressional Allies
Washington, DC (March 23, 2020) — Today, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence — the nation’s oldest gun violence prevention organization — endorses Speaker Nancy Pelosi, gun violence survivors, and other congressional allies in the House and Senate. These gun violence champions will get stronger gun violence prevention laws passed, defeat the corrupt gun lobby, and address the public health epidemic of American gun violence. We will be issuing further endorsement throughout the election year.
- Mark Kelly for Senate, Arizona
Former astronaut, husband of Gabrielle Giffords, and co-founder of gun violence prevention group Giffords.
- Representative Lucy McBath, Georgia 6th District
Inspired to run after the shooting death of her son Jordan. Former member of Moms Demand Action and current member of the House Judiciary Committee.
- Representative Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, Florida’s 26th District
Rep. Mucarsel-Powell’s father, Guido, was shot and killed outside his home in Ecuador. Member of the House Judiciary Committee.
- Representative Jackie Speier, California’s 14th District
Rep. Speier survived five gunshots in 1978 during a congressional delegation fact-finding trip to Jonestown. Her boss Rep. Leo Ryan was shot and killed.
- Representative Salud Carbajal, California’s 24th District
Rep. Carbajal’s sister died by firearm suicide. He is the sponsor of H.R. 1236, the Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) Act of 2019.
- Representative Gil Cisneros, California’s 39th District
Rep. Cisneros’s grandfather was brutally murdered in an act of gun violence.
- Representative Debbie Dingell, Michigan’s 12th District
Rep. Dingell has spoken about the threats she and her siblings faced because of her father’s easy access to a gun.
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi, California’s 12th District
Passed historic bipartisan gun violence prevention legislation out of the House of Representatives. A longtime champion of gun violence prevention.
- Representative Mike Thompson, California’s 5th District
Chairman of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force and sponsor of H.R.8, The Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019.
- Representative Jerry Nadler, New York’s 10th District
As Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, held first gun violence prevention policy hearings in 8 years.
- Representative Robin Kelly, Illinois’s 2nd District
A leading voice in making sure that the daily gun violence in impacted communities is not ignored.
- Representative Abigail Spanberger, Virginia’s 7th District
A leader in gun violence prevention in the home state of the National Rifle Association.
- Representative Jennifer Wexton, Virginia’s 10th District
Defeated the National Rifle Association in her own backyard.
- Representative Stephanie Murphy Florida’s 7th District
Inspired to run for office following the mass shooting tragedy at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida.
- Representative Ted Deutch, Florida’s 19th District
A gun violence prevention leader following the mass shooting tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
- Mark Warner for Senate, Virginia
A gun violence prevention champion in the Senate.
- Cory Booker for Senate, New Jersey
Led the way in the historic 2020 presidential field with the most ambitious plan to address America’s gun violence epidemic. A leader and champion for this issue in the Senate.